Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Ilula Monday and Rounds



Today was sort of a more “normal” day at Ilula, except for the appearance of a Norwegian first year medical student, spending 3 weeks at an orphanage nearby.  She had spent 6 weeks there a few years ago, but was then not a medical student.  We adopted her.  She has been given the name Aisha, because her Norwegian name, Ingebjorg was too difficult to pronounce.  Believe me, I tried.  That “o” is supposed to have a slash through it, which removes any ability for anyone but a native Norwegian or Swede to do it justice.  And I’m not so sure about the Swede.

This morning, I was introduced at morning rounds.  Dr. Saga announced we would have a 15-minute presentation tomorrow by one of the students.  Ten minutes for the talk, five minutes for questions, no more.  (I think I overheard one of the students say, “I’m going to have to revise my talk.”  Expletives deleted.  Just kidding.  No expletives.)  At the end, Dr. Rite, presiding over the meeting, came to me and said, “We would really like to have the students talk about treatment of septic abortion (i.e. miscarriage with infection, sometimes intentional) and rashes.”  Now this was nice for me, since I just delegated the two talks to some of the smartest people in the world, and all I have to do is kibitz.  Carl and Laura will tackle treatment of septic abortion and I assigned Jake to talk about rashes.  I will help on that one.  Will and Laura B have not been tapped, but likely will be.  You guys are great!  I appreciate your devotion.

Rounds were humbling for me, realizing I have no ability to ask questions, even yes-no questions, to take a history.  And I know I had better learn.  The students are all working hard at doing so.  Serena has a ring of 4x6 cards she has already compiled phrases and words to use.  Way to go Serena!  A little Swahili returns, too slowly.
We voted last night and tonight is movie night  A few of the students even have dates.  Of course, they are married to them.  Still counts!  "Ides of March" is the answer to your next question.  I am not psychic, but I am 9 hours ahead of you, so I just knew.

Update on Plumpy'Nut will be forthcoming.  We have some refinement to do on the protocol, but on a very positive note, the nurses in the Maternal Child Health Antenatal program already do exactly the kind of teaching we will need for our mamas and bebes to have.

Junior Execs

Nursing School Residence Foundation
Work has started on the Nursing School Residence.  Note the junior execs supervising.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ken-

    Sound like you're with a great group of people at Ilula! I keep reading about doctor strikes in TZ - anything like this happening at Ilula or in Iringa?

    Amy

    ReplyDelete