Thursday, January 26, 2012

Here I come, ready or not!

Well, departure day is finally here!  It is hard to believe - I am sitting n MSP, at Gate 6, so far with only a few others.  That's what I get for following the get-there-three-hours-before-departure direction when I printed my boarding pass.  Three hours?  Wow!  Didn't forget anything that I can think of, except maybe the stuff pillow I meant to bring.

I have now been thoroughly "sent."  First, the pastors offered a "Sending" at church on Sunday.  Second, our children, their spouses and grandchildren were over last night for a little celebration.  Niece Katelyn and our mutual friend Amanda (congrats on the new job, Amanda!) joined us too.  It was a laugh-a-thon.   Brother Mark, that's my brother Mark, not a Franciscan or other friar,  offered a prayer for safety and blessings before I left.  He is so generous and caring.  I look forward to his coming with us someday.

I have been packing much of the week, collecting things for the past month.  My two checked bags are carefully weighed, one at 49# and the other just over 51#, but the kind agent at check-in said I was all right.  Some of it is staples, staplers, manilla files, health packs and 100 pairs of "readers."  No M&Ms.  They are in my backpack, too heavy to put in the suitcase.  I figure even TSA might find M&Ms a temptation!  I doubt the metal surgical retractors would generate anything but curiosity.

Here are some thanks.  First, Marge Larson pointed me to some "Health Kits" that our parishioners have put together. Sorry, I cannot thank them in person, by name. Next, thanks to Bob for the hand carved crosses.  I will find people to give them to.  Sadly, I doubt I will get to Idunda this trip.  Pastors Will and Walt sent two clergy shirts ("Friar Tuck" brand, no joke.  And I am Robin Hood, getting them to the deserving poor!)

The photos are simply to demonstrate what I am leaving in Minnesota.



 This is Sawyer. Below is Parker.  Boy, did they love the thrill of sledding down a 30 yard slope!

It is 83 degrees in Dar es Salaam. 

About 15 minutes until boarding.

Asante sana!

No comments:

Post a Comment