Saturday, February 18, 2012

Travel Update

Dear Carl, Jake, Laura, Laura, Meg and Serena,

I hope all your travel plans have gone as expected since I last saw you.  Meg and Jake, I hope you arrived in Rome with no further delays.  I can only imagine you were pretty bushed by the time you got there.  Assuming nothing else intervened, Rome is the reward in itself.  Just watch out for the pick-pockets.  Our experience a few years ago was a classic.  Lots of luggage, of course, we wer boxed in on an escalator by a team who frisked us as we got off.  We detected the attempt, but I know friends who had the same experience and weren't as fortunate with their fortunes.

Will and Laura, I hope you have found basking in the Zanzibar sun to be soothing and re-energizing.

Carl, Laura and Serena, I hope you arrived home without incident to loved ones and their hugs after your long journey! 

Now here are your assignments....  Just kidding.  Just so you don't worry, I gave you all A+.  I cannt understand why those other faculty members were thinking B!  Just kidding again.

You were all stellar.  We have had students two years in a row that really have set a high standard.

Well, I had a minor travel adventure.  After leaving the airport, I was Shanghaid, well not to Shanghai, but to the New Africa Hotel, where I was forced to live in the lap of luxury for a day.  Oh, the pain!  I could have been in any number of fancy hotels in the USA or Europe.  Except to go outside, I toally lost track of being in Africa, except for the poverty and street vendors, daladalas, buses, katangas, street corner beggars missing limbs and one or two other differences.

It was a relaxing time.  We got on our plane without a hitch, and though I was pretty relaxed and confident about it, this solo mzungu couldn't help but get a little twinge of anxiety.

Last night brought a couple of fortuitous events.  The lady at the KLM desk remained calm and kind throughout the experience.  When I understood that, I couldn't help but thank her for her courtesy and kindness, Meg.  Today, she was back and for us it was easy to be gracious and all smiles.  I thanked her again.  In Swahili.

The other is the acquaintance of Jim Dobbin, a consultant to big organizations who applies a comprehensive evaluation of business, social and cultural circumstances to give companies an integrated understanding of their potential business in a community, instead of the silos companies often have, limiting all concerned.  He taught me many things in a short time.  It was great!  I look forward to our paths crossing again in the future.

As I write, it is  AM at home and I am near boarding time for my flight.  Send me a note when you can.  I will be sending a group email about a couple things shortly after I get home.

I treasure the experience with all of you.  Each has unique gifts complementing your marvelous skills and knowledge.  See you all soon!

9 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you are ok and that everything worked out! Laura and I went through customs in Dar expecting that it would be easier and faster for us to wait on the *other* side of the customs agents, not realizing that you, Meg, and Jake (and Carl) were having difficulties getting your tickets! Finally Laura remembered she could call you! So we tried, and then we headed up to the gate since we would have to get on the plane, and we were hoping you would call us back. Finally, Carl came through and explained that you were all waiting in an area invisible to us from our vantage point. We imagined you stranded at the airport all night with no transportation and too little time for reprieve elsewhere. It's relieving to know we were wrong! I hope they also put you on first class on your later flight...

    Our flight to Minneapolis was delayed (it was posted when we arrived in Amsterdam, so we knew we had more time immediately), so Laura and I tried the free showers in the airport...although the water is not as cold as the barely unfrozen tap water, it was very reminiscent of a crisp, Ilula morning shower! So - if on your next flight, you're anxious to get there or if on the way home after your next visit you start to miss Ilula - don't worry - a cold shower in Amsterdam can help you make your transition!

    Hope the rest of your trip was smooth and comfortable - Safari Njema!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’ve certainly met good friends on your journey, Ken. It’s nice to travel around the world. Aside from visiting scenic views, what makes travelling extra exciting is you can meet new friends along the way. Wonderful experiences and memories created with friends are the best travel treasures you can have, right, Ken?

    Filippa Sartini

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A route differs from a road not only because it is solely intended for vehicles, but also because it is merely a line that connects one point with another. A route has no meaning in itself; its meaning derives entirely from the two points that it connects. A road is a tribute to space. Every stretch of road has meaning in itself and invites us to stop. A route is the triumphant devaluation of space, which thanks to it has been reduced to a mere obstacle to human movement and a waste of time. Cheap flights to Zanzibar

      Delete
    2. I agree with Filippa. The most exciting part of traveling is to meet someone new, establish new relationships with people of a different culture. A souvenir isn't necessarily a material object, it can be considered as the memories and experiences that you had during your journey.

      Andrina Royceston

      Delete
  3. Filippa’s right! No matter how many souvenirs you’ll get from a place, it’s always the people you meet that will matter to you the most. That’s why, whenever I travel out of the country, I always make sure that I make some friends anywhere I go.
    Earnestine Novick

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right guys. The last time I traveled, I met a very wonderful person – Oscar. He was my driver throughout my trip. He was so friendly that he told me some interesting stories about their place, and even about his family. :D That was a really great moment to remember. I’m really glad to have found a good car service. I had fun traveling! :))

    Taisha Bousquet

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are absolutely right Filippa when ever we move to other city or country for tour if want to make trip beautiful more remember-able i will be only if we have a good friends group there then there will be a great fun.
    Saran SMith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely unique and fine piece of information. I've never spent that much time reading before but this is really awesome. Airport Taxi

    ReplyDelete