Friday, February 10, 2012

Our last full day at Ilula


 2-10-2012

All days here seem to be good days, despite the lack of resources and terribly ill patients.

Today I gave a little presentation on the Ilula Nutrition Project – I am looking for a better name.  It went well.  The nurses and doctors were very engaged.  It helped to have Dr. Rite translate.  I got a few minutes into the talk before Mama Saga, the hospital Matron (head nurse) gently came from the back row to Rite in the font and whispered to him.  He politely suggested he could interpret.  It worked well.  I was supposed to take ten minutes, so I told the group I took ten minutes and Dr. Rite took ten minutes.

Then they played into my hands and asked many questions!  What could we do, but answer them?  We also let them sample the Plumpy’Nut.  The change in their expressions was a little like watching a kid see cauliflower and taste ice cream.

Meg Fiegal and I spent an hour reviewing a grant application she had done so I could get the gist of how they go.  Very helpful.  But still daunting.  One think we discovered is that the complete application does not need to be in, only the concept paper.  I have collected info from Institute of Agriculture and will get info from Amani Orphanage early next week.

I will publish the draft of the description, perhaps as a web page and not until I return home.

Rounds were busy.  We have seen some patients improving, which is very gratifying of course.  My sister Bev wonders who gets most out of the experience.  I hope it is at least equal parts.  Meg is doing a number of interviews for a video and one of the docs said what he wanted most from us is more to come and visit and see how we are doing!

I will head to Iringa in the morning to look at the BKB computer.  I assembled it, but the front USB ports are not working.  They did when I built it, so I am hoping it is a loose wire from transport.  I will know quickly.  If it isn’t I will get a replacement part and install it in July, when Birdie and I return.

Last night, one of the beloved suffered a laceration on the finger.   No tendon or nerve damage. HIPAA regulations prevent me from identifying Meg, so I won’t do that.  I can tell you that one of the near-physicians did a beautiful repair.  I can’t really tell you his name either, but I noticed Jake’s hands were a little shaky.  I didn’t tell him I noticed.  As I cannot in good conscience mention their names as noted earlier, I think I can say that this patient said it was the only time she would ever let this doctor work on her.  But I would!

Another hapless fool, not Meg
Tomorrow night we will party here in town I think at one or more of the watering holes.  Well, not me of course.  I have remained my staid and conservative self….  Then on Sunday morning we will head to Ruaha for R&R.  Two nights there, then overnight at Ilula to finish packing, say our goodbyes and start the trek back to Dar and home.  I don’t know when the next installment will be, but I will publish some photos too.

PS Meg gave permission and don’t let her tell you otherwise.  Jake isn’t covered by HIPAA in this case anyway, as far as I know.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment